The Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation provides an amazing way for young people aged 14 and up to get involved through their very own Youth Council.
Youth Council members act as philanthropic ambassadors while working closely under the guidance of the Foundation to support the hospital in a variety of ways, including the organization of an annual event. Members learn valuable leadership skills and have an opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of so many children who rely on care from experts at the Alberta Children’s Hospital.
Applications for the 2022-23 Youth Council are now closed. If you are interested in joining the Youth Council, please check this page again in June 2023.
The Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation proudly serves as the primary charitable fundraiser for the Alberta Children’s Hospital. We also partner with Alberta Health Services, the University of Calgary and agencies in our community that support child health advancements in Alberta and across Canada.
Read more about our mission here.
The Youth Council provides a structured environment for like-minded youth to connect and learn new skills while making a difference in the community.
Every year, the Youth Council supports a specific area of care. Over the past 10 years, its members have raised more than $120,000 in support of life-saving care, brain health and mental health.
Through the Youth Council, you will:
- Connect with peers and expand your network
- Develop valuable skills in leadership, fundraising, event management, budgeting, communications and more through ongoing mentorship from Foundation staff who are experts in the field
- Work on various awareness and fundraising initiatives
The number of young people who struggle with mental health is on the rise. For the 2022-23 year, the Youth Council will again focus on this area of great need, mental health. The Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation, in collaboration with many partners, is working on important mental health initiatives for children and adolescents. Among them is the new Centre for Child & Adolescent Mental Health, which is scheduled to open later this year. The Youth Council will play a vital role in educating peers about this amazing new facility, as well as play active roles in fundraising activities that support other mental health initiatives.
- To attend and actively participate in monthly team meetings (see the schedule here), as well as frequent sub-group meetings scheduled as necessary.
- To join the Youth Council team registered for the RBC Race for the Kids (September 11, 2022), an annual walk/race at Heritage Park in support of mental health.
- To help the Council organize one mental health awareness panel during the term.
- To learn about school “bike-a-thons” and gauge interest among peers and school administrators for an event like this at your own school.
- To explore non-event-based fundraising initiatives that can be activated year-round.
- To host an annual fundraising event for the Foundation.
Please note that most of these activities include active research of sponsors, selling event tickets and encouraging donations!
- To support you as needed to ensure you’re equipped for success.
- To provide a fun and safe environment based on the values that guide our actions and decision-making: Integrity, Commitment, Authenticity, Respect and Excellence.
- To help you develop valuable life skills, such as leadership, critical thinking, fundraising, event management, budgeting, communications, presentations and more.
- To facilitate communication within and outside the Youth Council to help you build your network.
- To share information about the Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation and relevant mental health initiatives so you feel set up for success as an ambassador.
Questions about the Youth Council?
We have answers! Please contact us at email@example.com.
Sign up for our newsletter